Experienced Defense Attorneys Protecting the Constitutional Rights of those Accused of Crimes in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
It has been said that the United States has the best criminal justice legal system in the world. This is, in large part, due to the inalienable rights afforded to those who live, reside, and visit our great country.
According to our society’s fundamental beliefs and rules of law, everyone accused of a crime is innocent until proven guilty and also that everyone is entitled to a fair trial.
In addition to these basic rights, the people of the United States are also protected by the Bill of Rights, including the:
- Fourth Amendment, which prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures by law enforcement;
- Fifth Amendment, which sets forth basic constitutional limits on police;
- Sixth, Eighth, and 14th Amendment, which also govern the rights of those accused of criminal conduct.
Courts interpret these Amendments on a daily basis, constantly evaluating factual scenarios to determine if individual rights violations took place. Landmark cases decided by the United States Supreme Court have resulted in mandatory Miranda rights, the right to “plead the 5th” and so much more.
In addition to the United States Constitution, law enforcement and prosecutors are bound by the Constitutions of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or the State of Rhode Island, in addition to federal and state laws.
Even the Best Police Officers Make Mistakes
Despite these many safeguards in place to protect individuals, law enforcement officials and prosecutors sometimes make mistakes:
- They may not follow the proper procedures when conducting a search or an arrest.
- They may fall short of the necessary requirements when filing charges or questioning those suspected of or accused of a crime.
- Ultimately, their actions or inactions – no matter how unintended – may violate the rights of those involved.
For example, these mistakes are often made in drug cases. In reality, the best defense to a drug crime usually involves a close examination of the manner in which law enforcement obtained evidence of the crime. Since drugs are almost always obtained via search and seizures, we must review the facts to determine if law enforcement was deficient in any way. Even if one aspect of the search and/or seizure falls short of constitutional, the resulting charges may be reduced or dismissed altogether.
Hiring a defense attorney who is well-versed in constitutional and criminal law is crucial to your case.
Effective, Experienced, Reputable Legal Representation in All Criminal Matters
You owe it to your case, yourself, and your family to seek legal help and closely look at the circumstances of your criminal matter. It is our duty to hold police and prosecutors to the high standards they must meet. The Kilroy Law Firm can help you get through this difficult time in your life.
Don’t hesitate to contact our firm in the following instances:
- If you are facing criminal charges for the first time
- If you are afraid you may be arrested
- If the police wish to question you “informally” regarding a particular incident
- If you have been through the process before
- If you wish to keep your record spotless
- If you wish to avoid a devastating conviction and/or prison time
- If you wish to appeal your conviction
- If you are about to serve a prison sentence
The reality is that any of these scenarios may result in serious consequences. If you or a loved one faces any of these situations, it is important that an experienced criminal defense law firm handle your criminal case from the start. Call us today.
We Handle All Types of Criminal Matters
The Kilroy Law Firm specializes in the following areas of criminal defense:
- Parole Representation and Post-Conviction Relief
- Prison Consultation
- DUI and OUI
- White Collar Crimes
- Domestic Violence
- Drug Crimes
- Theft Crimes
- Sex Crimes
- Assault and Battery
Usually, the more serious the offense, the more likely that a first-time conviction may result in going to jail or prison. If the accused has a prior criminal record, the chances of receiving jail time as a penalty go up exponentially.
We provide elite criminal defense legal representation in any of these types of crimes (and more) regardless of whether the alleged acts are classified as:
- State crimes
- Federal crimes
- Repeat offenses
- Aggravated offenses
- Crimes involving dangerous weapons
- And more
The criminal defense legal team at Kilroy Law Firm has extensive experience representing clients in many courts throughout Massachusetts and Rhode Island. We routinely practice before district courts, county and state courts, appellate courts, federal courts, and various administrative agencies.
Consequences of Crimes: Nothing to Take Lightly
The consequences of an accusation of criminal activity may in and of itself have life-changing effects. Accusations – even unfounded ones – may result in embarrassment, a destroyed reputation, and even a loss of job (e.g., teaching, coaching, city official, etc.) Being charged with a crime and standing a criminal trial, even one that results in an acquittal, can have even more detrimental effects on someone’s life. In some cases, media coverage may sway the court of public opinion in very negative ways, regardless of what is actually true.
However, while accusations and being charged with one or more crimes may wreak havoc on your life, a conviction may destroy your world. Some legal, practical, and financial effects of criminal convictions may include the following:
- A criminal record that will follow you for the rest of your life
- Monetary fines ranging from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars
- Jail time of a few hours, a few days, a few months, a few years, a few decades, or the rest of your life
- Mandatory counseling (e.g., alcohol treatment, substance abuse, anger management, etc.)
- Loss of driver’s license
- Loss of professional licenses (including a potential bar to obtaining such licenses in the future)
- Loss of security clearances
- Mandatory resignation (or termination) from certain jobs
- Loss of athletic scholarships and offers of acceptance to educational institutions
- Expulsion from school and/or sports teams
- Mandatory inclusion on sex offender registry lists
- Negative effects on custody cases and other family law matters
- Such as reduced parenting time or even loss of custody altogether
- Destroyed relationships with loved ones, friends, and colleagues
- Mandatory obligations to stay away from certain individuals, residences, buildings, etc.
- Property and asset forfeiture
- And more
For all that is at stake, you cannot afford to leave the outcome of the trial up to chance. You need to work with a formidable criminal defense attorney who will make the strongest case possible. Even if a defendant receives probation rather than a prison sentence, it is not cheap – in any sense of the word.
You Have Rights – Don’t Let Anyone Tell you Otherwise
It is very important that you know all of your rights, possible defenses, and also that you have the utmost confidence in your attorney and legal team. You will go through this ordeal together; and your attorney will be a lifeline during this challenging time.
Even if you believe (or prosecutors convince you) that your case is weak and that a conviction is inevitable, you owe it to yourself and your family to seek the best possible legal representation available. Contact Kilroy Law Firm today so our team can begin working on your defense.
Don’t Wait: Contact Us Today
If you have been arrested and charged with one or more crimes in Rhode Island or Massachusetts, it is critical that you contact a reputable, successful criminal defense attorney with significant experience defending those specific types of charges.
You should not waste any time contacting our office right away if:
- You are worried that you may be arrested or charged with a crime
- You have already been charged with one or more misdemeanor or felony offenses
- You are preparing for a prison sentence
The sooner you contact our office, the sooner we can begin preparing a rigorous defense.
Attorney Noah J. Kilroy spent many years prosecuting thousands of criminal cases involving all types of criminal charges. He draws from this experience and applies everything he knows to zealously work to safeguard your rights and aggressively advocate on your behalf. He has a unique insight and ability to anticipate the prosecution’s moves and strategies. The bottom line: he will provide you with the best possible defense.
Through his experience, unmatched work ethic, and fierce dedication to the wellbeing of his clients, Attorney Kilroy has earned a successful and lengthy track record of obtaining favorable outcomes for his clients.
Let us help. Schedule a complimentary consultation and take advantage of our Best Price Guarantee by calling or texting us today at (401) 855-9023 or by completing our contact form. We look forward to discussing your case.
Here are just a couple of the reviews that we have received from past client:
“Attorney Noah Kilroy was very thorough in his handling on my husband’s case! He presented as very skilled in court, and was able to get the outcome that my family was looking for- a reduced drug charge, avoiding a conviction and jail time. I would definitely recommend Attorney Kilroy to others who are looking for competent representation!” Norma – Providence, RI
“Noah was an absolute pleasure to work with. He was extremely helpful with my DUI case and any questions I had. He did a great job of keeping me informed with what was going on & was very honest & trustworthy. And to top it off, he got my DUI dismissed! I would definitely use him again and highly recommend him to anyone in need of a honest lawyer.” – Ashleigh – Newport, RI